Servicing Your Furnace Can Save Your Wallet
Regardless of your type of furnace, some maintenance procedures are universal:
1. Check the draft hood for discoloration, soot, dust.
2. Check the flue for deterioration, white marks, rust.
3. Check the chimney for blockage, broken mortar, crumbling bricks.
4. Keep the furnace motor oiled. Check the belt — it's easy to replace.
5. Change your air filter every thirty days. An easy way to remember to do this is to change it every time you receive a utility bill
Safety concerns: Never store things near a heater. A pilot with a yellow flame may require adjustment by a contractor. Call for help if you experience carbon monoxide poisoning (headache, chest tightness, burning eyes, weakness, vomiting, dizziness, loss of muscular control).